Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 5 Activity 1: Air Pollution

Aloha bloggers,
Air pollution is a very big thing which is ruining our planet, and it needs to stop as soon as possible. In the South Island in 2016, Timaru was the place with the most air pollution in the whole of NZ! Some of this was natural, but mostly us humans have made it happen. Here is a link to a video which I have watched, and I am going to share 3 things I learnt from it.

1. Not all pollution is going to be blamed on humans. Some of the pollution that affects the world is natural such as volcanic eruption and forest wildfires. But most of it has been due to human activity, like burning fossil fuels to make power, but the smoke that comes out of them are called greenhouse gasses. This gas stays in our atmosphere and traps energy and heat from the sun, resulting in global warming.

2. There are some other gasses, one of them called smog. Smog is put into 2 different categories, sulfurous and photochemical. Sulfurous smog is due to burning sulfur, and photochemical is when cars exhaust, big factories and coal burning. Smog also reduces visibility in the area, and is very unhealthy for plants and humans.

3. Even though these are very bad things for our air, there are solutions which can be better for our environment if people want to make a change. We can stop using cars and start walking, or using trains. We can try to find different sources of power, which can reduce smog and greenhouse gasses.


I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog post about air pollution. Thank you for coming to my blog. Please give me feedback or if you have any questions, please ask. What would you do to change air pollution? Tell me in the comments.

Blog you later!

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Gargee,

    It’s Dani from the Kaikohekohe cluster here again. I enjoyed my time here in Ako Hiko so much yesterday, I thought I would spend another day here.

    Wow, you have done an awesome job at sharing three detailed things that you learnt from the video. I have just watched the video and I didn’t realise that there were two different types of smog. Did you enjoy watching the video? I did because it has opened my eyes more to the air pollution and global warming. I think I am going to see if I can carpool with another teacher to school this year instead of driving my car by myself. Is there anything you can think of that you or your family could do to help?

    Keep up the amazing effort, I can’t wait to read more of your blog posts soon!

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. just what most individuals' desire. However, most of which have no idea of the inner thoughts and multi-step means of purchasing a fresh home asbestos air testing

    ReplyDelete