Pages

Friday 11 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 3 Activity 2: Protecting the most vulnerable - Fact or Fiction

Kia Ora bloggers,
Maui dolphins are an exquisite native marine animal in NZ which are on the verge of extinction (aka - being lost and gone forever), so many organisations such as the WWF (World Wildlife Fund) are working their heads off, trying to preserve and make sure the Maori dolphin stays. Unfortunately, some people say that if the organisations struggle to keep the numbers up, all of the dolphins will dissapear in 2033.

I am going to learn more about the Maui's dolphin, then share 3 false and 3 true facts. The wonderful people who read this, are going to try and figure out which of the 2 different fact paragraphs are true and false. Here are the different false and true facts.

1. After the dolphin turns 5 years old, the mother lets him live by himself
2. The Maui's dolphin has been believed to have special powers as it is named after the demigod Maui
3. 3% of Maui dolphins can eat 10% more food than other Maui dolphins

OR

1. Male Maui dolphins are slightly smaller than the females
2. This is the smallest species of dolphin in the whole world
3. This species can live up to only 20 years of age



I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog post about the Maui's Dolphin. Thank you for coming to my blog. Please give me feedback or if you have any questions, please ask. Which paragraph is real and which is fake? Tell me in the comments.

Blog you later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gargee,

    It's Leslie here, reading your blog from my home in wintry Canada as a member of the Summer Learning Journey team. It can seem odd that someone living in a winter climate is participating in a program in a country in a summer climate. But that's the beauty of technology - it connects the whole world.

    I appreciate your effort to trick the reader with your true facts and fake facts. Good for you!!

    I enjoyed reading the page on the Maui Dolphins and learning about them. I'd never heard of them before. I hope that their environment can be improved - it would be such a tragedy to have them disappear!!!!

    Are there animals or birds in the Auckland area that you would like to see protected? I gather that stoats can be a problem for birds that nest on the ground. It must be a challenge to protect the eggs of those bird species!!

    I hope you're finding time to get out on some treks around the city, through the bush and on the beaches. The summer is the time to do it, isn't it? It's time for fresh air and exercise!!

    I'm glad you've made time to be a part of this program. I'll continue to enjoy reading your blog.

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete