Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 1 Activity 1: Preserving the past

Kia Ora bloggers,
When we use different items such as tools or plastic, it is separated into 2 different categories, recyclable  and non recyclable. The non recyclable is tipped into an area of land and is left there forever. Recyclable waste is taken away where people sort them out from plastic, paper etc and then reused.

The whole scheme of having a recycle place where things are reused is by a lady by the name Dame Suzie Moncrieff, and she came up with this idea 30 years ago. She said we can take things people have recycled, and use it to make art! She named an event called World of WearableArt (WOW) and it takes place in Wellington. Artists, sculpture makers and creative people make costumes and clothing out of recycled waste.

Let's say I get a chance to interview Dame Suzie Moncrieff. What 5 questions would I ask her? Here are the questions:

1. How did you come up with the idea of making the WOW event?

2. Have you ever been a creative, art lover or craft maker?

3. Do you have a strong opinion on when people just leave rubbish, and if so, why?

4. What is an amazing piece of art that you've wanted to keep?

5. How long does it normally take for the artists to finish their art?





I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog post about WOW. Thank you for coming to my blog. Please give me feedback or if you have any questions, please ask. Have you ever made a recycled creation? Tell me in the comments.

Blog you later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gargee,

    It's Leslie here, reading your blog as a member of the Summer Learning Journey team. I live in Canada, just a few thousand miles from your home in New Zealand. Isn't it amazing that people on opposite sides of the planet can be involved in the same program? So cool!!

    You clearly understand what happens with our waste, both recyclable and not. Good for you. And I suspect that you actively try to recycle things as much as possible and to not throw things into the garbage, if you can help it.

    Your questions for Dame Moncrieff are excellent. I too wonder if she wants to or has always kept the pieces of recycled art that she creates. Perhaps most of them end up in museums or galleries for show.

    Have you ever been to the WOW event? I was visiting my daughter, Rachel, in Auckland last year and someone that she knows was on her way to the event, actually. That's how I first heard about it.

    I'll continue reading your blog - I'm so glad that you've chosen to be a part of this program this year. Good for you!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete