Pages

Saturday 12 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 4 Activity 2: The Plastic Pledge

Kia Ora blogging world,
Over many years which have passed by, NZ naturaly beautiful beaches have been used to throw rubbish, also known as a dumping ground. 80% of this rubbish is plastic waste!!!

Many, many companies have heard if this problem, but only a couple take action after it. Countdown is a really good example of taking part. They have stopped providing plastic bags, and have also given out super affordable bags which are made out of a material which isn't bad for the environment.

Here is my opinion on this topic, and a couple of my family members:

ME 🙋  :
I personally think this was a very thoughtful decision for many Countdown stores to do because a little change in our lives, can dramatically change what happens in our future. Other stores like The Warehouse and New World should also follow in Countdowns footsteps and stop using plastic bags.

Mum:
I definitely think that Countdown did the right decision because marine animals such as whales and turtles are dying because of this plastic. You have to blame humans because we are the only animals which use plastic waste.

Little brother (hpsvitaraagj.blogspot.co.nz):
I think that it's good that they stopped using plastic bags because lots of plastic is going in the environment and it takes about 1000 years to make plastic bags rot into the soil. When it goes into the Earth, it is very bad for the plant eco-system.

I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog post about banning plastic bags. Thank you for coming to my blog. Please give me feedback or if you have any questions, please ask. What is your opinion on plastic bags? Tell me in the comments.

Blog you later!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Gargee,

    It's Leslie here, reading your blog from my home in Canada. I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team and it's fun for me to see all of the activities that you've been working on during your summer holidays. Good for you!!

    You've given an excellent answer to the question of whether or not you support Countdown's decision to stop providing plastic bags to their customers. Surveying other members of your family about their opinions was a super idea. Wonderful effort, Gargee, I'm so impressed!!

    I live in a small town in Ontario, Canada and we too are very concerned about the amount of plastic that's ending up in our landfill sites and in the oceans. My family takes re-usable cloth bags and laundry baskets to do our grocery shopping. We've done that for years. The check-out people at the grocery store never ask us if we want a plastic bag! The big laundry baskets are particularly helpful when we're doing a weekly shopping and have bulky things to bring home.

    I hope that you're having fun on your summer holiday and I'm so glad that you've chosen to participate in this program!!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gargee,

    My name is Hinerangi, I go to Pt England School which is located in East Auckland. I am really happy to be commenting as I love doing this, how about you? The reason why I am commenting is because I have completed all the tasks of the SLJ and I can't blog as I don't really know what to blog about, yet. Your blog post about the plastic pledge sounds really thoughtful and surprisingly sad as what it's been doing to affect our sea animals, including marine life sea creatures/animals. I really think everyone should agree and check out this post as it's really sad to hear about what has happening and why we should ban plastic bags. What will people be using IF plastic bags get banned? Any thoughts? Overall impressive work Gargee, keep it up.

    Bye for now,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gargee,

    I have to agree with all three of you, Countdown made a wise decision and I too, hope other supermarkets do the same. Imagine life without cute turtles and amazing whales, it would be very sad for all I know.

    Keep up the great work,
    Davarni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gargee,

    My name is Araura and I am from Wesley Primary School, (You probably already know this) Any way iam also taking part in the Summer Learning journey.

    I totally agree with a guys opinions on why they stopped giving out bags. I agree with your mum's one the most It will hopefully stop hurting or killing our sea animals.

    I like how you added that the other stores like the warehouse shoul follow in their footsteps that way it should be plastic free.

    Maybe you could have added a few pictures that would have been great.

    Anyways keep up the good work

    Yours sincerely
    Araura ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Gargee,

    I am Cassandra from MRS. Well done for getting your mum and brother to join in on this activity! I agree with all three of your opinions and I like how you were specific. I had a good time browsing through your blog.

    Have a safe holiday,

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete