Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 5 Activity 3: Acid Rain

Hello bloggers, 
Obviously in NZ we have had a huge increase of rain fall, but luckily it's only been water. Acid rain is a whole other type of rain which is completely polluted water and is harmful to plants and humans. Lets pretend it rained for 3 days and nights, but it was secretly acid rain. When it finally stopped, you and your family went outside for a walk, so we opened the door and...


AHHH! My brother screamed until he popped, and my mother and father stood, as still as a statue, emotionless. I cried, because my treehouse that I had loved and treasured had been torn to the ground. My little brother started to run around, looking at all of the trees, screaming "THE WORLD IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!" My older brother had a secret cry, and took photos with his phone to show all of his relatives and friends in different countries. After a long wait, my dad shouted, "MY BEAUTIFUL VEGE GARDEN HAS BEEN DESTROYED!" My mum just stood, whispering "I wanted to just see pur garden one last time," and the rest of us cautiously walked around the neighbourhood. We inspected everything that happened to other people, and stared in sympathy. "What happened, and why did it have to happen here?" questioned my father. 

I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog post about acid rain. Thank you for coming to my blog. Please give me feedback or if you have any questions, please ask. Have you ever seen acid rain? Tell me in the comments.

Blog you later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gargee,

    It's Leslie here, writing to you from my wintry home in Canada, a member of the Summer Learning Journey team.

    What a super story you've written. You've created a real picture, with words, of what your family might feel if they were to open the front door to the results of an acid rain storm. I hope it never happens in your beautiful city.

    In Canada we've had real concerns about the effects of acid rain. In the 1970's we started to notice that fish were dying in our lakes and rivers, animals that lived on fish were beginning to disappear, insects that lay their eggs in water were being affected, trees were beginning to die back etc. etc. We realized that this was happening because of the acid rain that was resulting from our industries blowing toxic waste into the air from their chimney stacks. Some of the companies were hundreds of miles from where the acid rain was falling - it was the wind carrying the toxic chemicals that lead to the creation of the rain. So something had to be done! Our government created new laws requiring companies to change how they did their manufacturing so that there were fewer toxins released. They also had to change their smokestacks/chimneys so that they filtered out more of the toxins before their smoke was released into the atmosphere. We are in much better shape now, but we always have to be careful as to how we do what we do.

    I'm glad you've chosen to be a part of the Summer Learning Journey! I'll continue to enjoy your blog.

    Happy summer!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete