Pages

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Day 2 Activity 3: Weird & Wonderful Cactus

Namaste bloggers,

In today's activity for the Summer Learning Journey, I am going to talk about a plants life - and maths too.

So many places on Earth have lots of different cool plants that dazzle minds and astonish people who haven't seen such things before. There are so many colours, shapes, feels, and smells to all of the plants - maybe including taste if it's edible. Anyways, in Africa, and in basically all deserts, there are many different types of cactus. Some of them are purple, and some are green. Some can live on 3 ml (millilitres) of water a day! That is what I'm going to use for the equation.


The question is: You get a cactus for your birthday, and you've been instructed to feed it 3 ml of water a day. How many millilitres of water do you need for 1 year of feeding your cactus?

The way of solving this question is to take the amount of water that you feed it every day and multiply it by how many days you need to feed it. In this case, it would be 3 ml x 365 = 1095 ml. The answer is 1095 ml!

Here is a video explaining my way of solving this:

Explanation!

To solve 3 x 365=?, I found it easy to use a strategy in my head, but to write on paper, I would do this:


VIDEO ON HOW TO SOLVE 3x365

If any one of the videos are unclear, please tell me and I will try to make it clearer.


Image result for cactus











I hope you've learn't something from this equation, and has taught you a way of solving these questions. Make sure to continue to do maths and learn lots over the holidays.




Bye bloggers!

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Gargee,

    I like that you have written a nice little introduction to start your post off. I can see that you have given and answer complete in millilitres, ka pai for getting there.

    Remember that the activity asks you to show your working out. After watching your I still couldn't see how you got your answer, in other words I'm asking how did you solve 3 x 365? Please edit your post to show how you worked out this problem. I will be happy to award you full points when this is done. :)

    Keep working hard, I look forward to seeing your edited post with all your working out.

    Toe feiloa'i fo'i,

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cia,
      Thank you for correcting me on what I should do. You have been truly so helpful and nice. I have just been scrolling through my blog posts to check for mistakes, and I found this one! I hope this is enough to get awarded with full points, and if not then please contact me again.

      ~Gargee

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Gargee,

    I just noticed that you responded to Cia's prompt and included a video to help explain your math equation. I was blown away with your natural ability to walk us through your working out. What an impressive video you have uploaded. Well done for responding to Cia's prompt in a mature way and correcting your post.

    Keep up the awesome work, Gargee.

    Kindest regards,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete