Pages

Wednesday 26 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 3 Activity 3: Colossal Squid

Hello blogging world,

In NZ there is a gigantic squid called the Colossal Squid, and it weighs 500 kg! Let's imagine that we need to use people to move this squid from 1 room to another. An adult can lift 25 kg, and a kid can lift 15kg. How many kids and/or adults do you need to move this squid to the other room? (There is more than one possible answer to this question).


I am going to solve this problem by first taking the amount of kg the animal is and figuring out how much kg's can be lifted by a certain amount of people by multiplying the adults and kids weight lifting measurements. Here is a video on it: VIDEO



How many adults and kids combined to make an even amount do you need to carry the squid? Comment it in the comments below. If you have any questions or give me something to improve my work then please comment it on my blog and I will surely reply.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Gargee,

    Well done on completing another SLJ activity, 'The Midnight Zone'. I really like the video you created explaining the equation you used to work out this problem. Ka pai! You got the answer correct so you will be getting the full points for this activity. Can you think of another way of working this question out?

    I came up with another equation to move a 500kg Colossal Squid.

    If I was to plan to move the Colossal Squid in the Te Papa museum, he could weigh around 500 kg, so I will base my answer off this. If I was to invite 20 kids to come and help me who could all carry 15 kg then I would start with 20x15kg= 300.

    I would then invite 8 adults to come and help transfer the Colossal Squid and they could all carry 25 kg, so my equation to that would be 8x25kg=200.

    So if:
    20x15kg=300kg and 8x25kg=200kg then I would need 20 children and 8 adults to move a Colosal Squid weighing 500kg.


    Nga mihi,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete