Pages

Thursday 20 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Day 3 Activity 2: DOC Rangers

Hello my fellow followers,

It's not been long since the last time I posted! In this activity, I have to list 3 pros ( good things) and 3 cons ( bad things) about being a DOC Ranger. A DOC Ranger is a person who lives at Great Barrier Island or Little Barrier Island. Why, you ask? In NZ, we have a small amount of little lizards such as skinks and geckos, and we want to try and take care of them to make sure they don't go extinct. Many animals have gone extinct that people have loved, so DOC Rangers are trying their hardest to take care of these little fellas. They don't only protect animals, but also the plant life. Here are my pros and cons about DOC Rangers.

Pros:

1. You get to experience so much wildlife and plant life on such a small island. For example, all of the different lizards and plants that could be under and out of water are so fascinating

2. The experience of saving wildlife is like saving a humans life. You will feel proud after all of it, I know it.

3. It feels like being on vacation at the same time on the island, but your also doing an important, fun job of rescuing precious animals

Cons: 

1. There could be dangerous creatures lurking under the island and the water that surrounds it. EEK! Sometimes when you're diving in the water, you can see it. 

2. You can never know what happens if you have to stay in the middle of the night. There could be a storm, or just simple raining. I'm not sure where you stay, or if you even stay overnight, but it could happen. 

3. Maybe you're not doing your job properly, and you may not save the wildlife in time. This is the worst con out of all of them. 


I personally would not prefer to be a DOC Ranger just because I am nervous about the 3rd con, and I hate to see animals die. I also kind of could convince myself of be one because of all of the cool wildlife that you could see. 


Please comment and give me questions or feedback. 


I enjoy doing this journey!




See you after!



1 comment:

  1. Talofa Gargee,

    I can tell that you have thought very carefully about what it takes to be DOC Ranger, I like that you have been very detailed and added lots of your thoughts to each pro and con.

    It's perfectly fine to have conflicting thoughts about decisions you have to make. It is very hard to see animals get hurt or die, I understand that feeling completely.

    I wouldn't want to be a DOC Ranger because it just isn't my passion in life. This doesn't mean I don't care for the survival and conservation of animals, because I can always help in lots of different ways like donating. Could you think of a different way you could help?

    Toe feiloa'i fo'i,

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete