Pages

Monday 24 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 2 Activity 1: Flax weaving

Bonjour bloggers,

Today we are going to discuss the topic of flax weaving. Here is a short clip of what weaving is, just in case you don't know already here.

It is a traditional Maori thing to do, and if you know the stories of Maui, there are parts of when flax is important. Maui had to make flax ropes to make the sun slow down.

Now I have to tell you whether I want to do this or not. Here is my opinion.


I would want to do this because of the endless possibilities of things that I could make out of the flax. I can make hats, bags, decorations etc. It is a very interesting and engaging concept because I personally like crafts and stuff which is related to weaving. If I was given the option to flax, I would do it with no problem. 

Well, that's going to wrap it up for today bloggers! Please give me feedback and questions if you have any, and please don't hesitate to. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gargee,

    It's Leslie here, reading your blog from my home in Canada as a member of the Summer Learning Journey team.

    Good for you to include the link to the Flax weaving site on your blog!!

    And good for you to be aware of what flax can be used for. It takes a lot of work to make anything with flax, but it's clearly a very useful material for so many projects!!

    We grow flax in Canada too and it was used for the making of baskets and ropes etc. by the first settlers, as by our indigenous peoples. Most often now it's used for fabric - linen is a beautiful cloth made from flax.

    I'm glad that you're interested in how things are made and in learning about how to make things yourself. It's so important that we not lose skills and knowledges from the past!!

    Hopefully one day you'll have a chance to try weaving flax. Meanwhile, I hope you're having a super summer holiday time.

    You're doing a wonderful job of all of these activities!!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete